A perfect puree for a rainy fall or spring day, this creamy vegan soup will win you over with its elegant simplicity and intense celery flavor. If you prefer not to use croutons, serve with fresh whole grain bread to soak up the flavors. Adapted from Vegan Soups and Hearty Stews for All Seasons.
- 12 large celery stalks
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 8 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons unbleached white flour
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 teaspoons salt-free seasoning
- ¼ cup mixed chopped fresh parsley and dill, or more, to taste
- A handful of celery leaves
- 1 to 1 ½ cups unsweetened rice milk or other nondairy milk, as needed
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Chopped fresh dill or parsley for garnish
- Whole-grain vegan croutons for garnish, optional
Trim the bottoms off of the celery and remove the strings with a vegetable peeler. Cut 10 of the stalks into ½-inch slices. Cut the remaining two into ¼-inch dice, and set aside.
Heat one tablespoon of the oil in a soup pot. Add the onions and garlic and sauté over medium heat until the onions are lightly golden.
Sprinkle in the flour and stir it in until it disappears. Add the sliced celery, the potatoes, and just enough water to cover. Bring to a rapid simmer, then lower the heat. Add the seasoning, fresh herbs, and celery leaves. Cover and simmer gently until the vegetables are tender, about 25 minutes. Remove from the heat.
With a slotted spoon, transfer the solid ingredients to a food processor or blender and puree, in batches if necessary, until smoothly pureed, then stir back into the soup pot. Or, simply insert an immersion blender into the pot and puree the soup until smooth. Return to low heat and add enough rice milk to give the soup a slightly thick consistency.
Heat the remaining oil in a small skillet. Add the reserved celery and sauté over medium heat until touched with golden spots. Stir into the soup, then season with salt and pepper.
Serve at once, or allow the soup to stand off the heat for an hour or so, then heat through before serving. Garnish each serving with chopped dill or parsley, and a few croutons if desired
Per serving: Calories: 156; Fat: 6g; Protein: 3g; Fiber: 3g; Carbs 24g; Sodium: 87mg
- Explore other delicious vegan soup recipes here at Soulful Soups.
Leave a Reply