Vegan sausage is a fun protein source that provides plenty of flavor and spice to a meal. The bold taste of Tofurky or Field Roast sausage provides a perfect foil for fresh greens. I prefer these brands to other kinds of faux sausage, because they're made with tofu and seitan rather then textured soy protein. Serve this hearty dish with a simple grain or noodles, and a colorful salad. Photos by Evan Atlas.
Garlicky Greens with Seitan and Vegan Sausage
Vegan sausage is a fun protein source that provides plenty of flavor and spice to this Garlicky Greens with Seitan and Vegan Sausage.Print Pin Rate Email
Servings: 4 to 6
- 1 ½ tablespoons olive oil
- 8 ounces seitan cut into small bite-sized chunks
- 2 Tofurky or Field Roast vegan sausage links any variety, cut into ¼-inch slices
- 4 to 5 garlic cloves minced
- 1 good-size bunch chard or kale 10 to 12 ounces - especially good with green chard or lacinato kale
- ¼ cup white wine or water
- 3 to 5 ounces baby spinach
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Dried hot red pepper flakes to taste
- Heat the oil in a wide skillet or stir-fry pan. Add the seitan and sausage and sauté over medium-low heat until golden-brown on most sides, stirring frequently.
- Stir in the garlic and continue to sauté until golden, stirring frequently.
- Meanwhile, trim the stems and midribs from the greens, rinse well, and chop. Add the greens and wine to the skillet (if using kale, add water as needed to keep the skillet moist).
- Cover and cook 5 to 7 minutes for the chard and 6 to 8 minutes for the kale, or until the greens are cooked to your liking. Stir occasionally and don't overcook!
- Add the spinach, cover, and cook briefly until wilted, then uncover and cook for another minute or so. Season with salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes, then serve.
Calories: 297kcal | Carbohydrates: 9g | Protein: 31g | Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 6g | Monounsaturated Fat: 6g | Sodium: 305mg | Potassium: 187mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 2728IU | Vitamin C: 11mg | Calcium: 282mg | Iron: 4mg
Vegan-ize any recipe!Grab our free vegan cheat sheet, packed with my favorite easy substitutions to make any recipe vegan.
- Here are more seitan recipes
- Explore VegKitchen’s Vegan Dinner Recipes and more Seitan Main Dishes.
- Here are more vegan sausage recipes.
Easy dish, good mouthfeel. Filling. I think it needs a bit more oil and some citrus squeezed on top to brighten its top-end. Great starting point for dinner.