This simple and pretty combination of winter fruits — pears, apples, oranges, and pineapple, spiced with crystallized ginger — is a refreshing finish to any meal. It’s pretty enough to serve as a Christmas dinner dessert, accompanied by your favorite cookies. Recipe adapted from Vegan Holiday Kitchen. Photos by Susan Voisin.
Gingered Winter Fruit Medley
- 2 pears any variety, or two different types, including Asian pears, cored, seeded and diced
- 2 Granny Smith apples cored, seeded, and diced
- 2 small oranges such as clementines, peeled and sectioned or 2 small blood oranges, peeled and diced
- One 20-ounce can unsweetened pineapple rings or chunks drained
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup sliced crystallized ginger or more or less to taste
- Two 6-ounce containers piña colada or vanilla nondairy yogurt soy or coconut
- Ground cinnamon or freshly grated nutmeg
- Combine all the ingredients except the yogurt in a serving bowl and mix together.
- Serve in small dessert cups, preferably glass. Top serving with a dollop of yogurt and a sprinkling of cinnamon or nutmeg.
- Here are more recipes for fruity compositions.