Golden turmeric milk, a traditional elixir from the ancient system of Ayurveda, has been recommended for increased immunity and to help inflammation by yogis and Ayurvedic practitioners throughout the ages There are many variations of Golden Milk, many using almond oil. I like using coconut oil instead, and adding some additional warming spices, for flavor and added health benefits. A healing turmeric tonic, this is much more economical to make at home than buying ready-made turmeric beverages. Recipe and photo contributed by Chantelle of Naked Cuisine. Reprinted by permission.
Golden Turmeric Milk (Nondairy)
- 1 quart 4 cups almond milk
- 2 teaspoons ground or freshly grated turmeric
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1- inch piece fresh ginger grated
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons raw honey agave nectar, or a pinch of stevia, or to taste
- 3 whole black peppercorns optional
- 3 cardamom pods optional
- Combine all the ingredients except the sweetener in a saucepan and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Strain out the peppercorns and cardamom and add mixture to a blender to emulsify the coconut
- oil and get a nice froth.
- Stir in desired amount of sweetener. Enjoy warm, or chill before serving.