The simple vegetable duo of green beans and carrots makes a flavorful, colorful side dish for summer meals. The hint of Asian flavors — soy sauce and sesame (oil and seeds) makes it special.
- 6 tablespoons vegetable stock or water
- 1 large carrot, halved lengthwise and sliced thin on a diagonal
- 1/2 pound green beans, sliced on a diagonal to match carrots
- 2 medium scallions, sliced on a diagonal
- 1 tablespoon shoyu or natural soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon dark sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
Add the stock to a wok or stir-fry pan and heat to boiling over high heat. Add the carrot and beans. Cover the wok and cook for 3 to 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are just tender and the liquid has just about cooked away.
Stir in the scallions and remove the wok from the heat.
Add the shoyu and oil to the vegetables and toss to coat them thoroughly. Add the sesame seeds and toss again.