This creamy Green Velvet Smoothie is delicious and nutritious. Adjust the flavor of this totally vegan smoothie to suit your taste!
Kale, banana, and avocado join forces in this creamy, filling smoothie. Hemp seeds are optional, but they're one of the best, most concentrated sources of Omega 3s—better (and tastier) than flaxseeds. They make a great addition to this creamy smoothie. Look for both hempseeds and hemp milk at most any natural foods market.
This smoothie is full of nutrition, making it a perfect way to start your day! Serve it for breakfast with a bowl of granola, a tasty breakfast cookie, or a homemade muffin. You can also whip up this smoothie as a great post-workout or afternoon snack!
And while you're here, don't forget to grab a copy of my free vegan cheat sheet. It's packed with all my favorite substitutions to vegan-ize any recipe!
How to Make Green Velvet Smoothie
- Add together main ingredients in a blender.
- Blend on high until smooth.
- Pour smoothie into two large glasses and add flavorings.
- Serve smoothie right away, with or without ice.
Full directions for how to make Green Velvet Smoothie are in the printable recipe card below.
Green Velvet Smoothie FAQs
How long does this smoothie last?
This smoothie isn't meant to be stored. You can refrigerate it for a day if you can't drink it all at once, but I don't recommend it. If you know you won't need so much smoothie, you can easily reduce the ingredient amounts.
Do I need to add lemon juice and agave nectar?
You don't techinically need the lemon juice or agave nectar for this recipe. The lemon juice adds a nice citrus-y flavor to the smoothie—and helps it keep its green color a bit longer! And the agave nectar makes it a bit sweeter. But if you're fine with the flavor without these two ingredients, then you can just serve your smoothie plain.
Here are more of VegKitchen’s recipes for green smoothies.
Green Velvet Smoothie
- 2 medium kale leaves torn
- 1 medium banana
- ½ medium ripe avocado
- 2 cups vanilla nondairy milk almond or hemp milk
- 2 tbsp hemp seeds optional but highly recommended
- lemon juice to taste
- agave nectar to taste
- Combine the kale, banana, nondairy milk, and optional hemp seeds in a blender.
- Blend on high speed until completely smooth.
- Divide between two 12-ounce tumblers and add a little lemon juice and agave nectar to taste.
- Drink the smoothie right away at room temperature or add a cube or two of ice.
Adapted from Wild About Greens by Nava Atlas. Photo by Susan Voisin, FatFree Vegan Kitchen.
Sally Nieves says
Love the post and thank you for the information.