The preparation of hungarian-style noodles with cabbage and poppy seeds can be simplified by using pre-shredded coleslaw cabbage, but fresh green cabbage is best.
Photos by Rachael Braun.
The preparation of this tasty Slavic-inspired dish can be greatly simplified by using pre-shredded coleslaw cabbage.
But for flavor, I prefer a fresh green cabbage.
For a complete, easy meal, serve with a simple bean dish and a salad of mixed greens, tomatoes, peppers, and carrots.
For more healthy and light vegan meal ideas, check out these creative vegan salads and these lighter seasonal vegan pasta recipes.
Hungarian-Style Noodles with Cabbage and Poppy Seeds
The preparation of this tasty Slavic-inspired dish can be greatly simplified by using pre-shredded coleslaw cabbage, but for flavor, I prefer a fresh green cabbage.Print Pin Rate Email
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion quartered and thinly sliced
- 1 small green or ½ medium savoy cabbage cut into long, thin shreds
- ¼ cup dry white wine
- 10 to 12 ounces flat egg-free noodles such as spelt ribbons or rombi
- 1 tablespoon vegan buttery spread such as Earth Balance
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds more or less as desired
- Salt and lots of freshly ground pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in an extra-wide skillet or stir-fry pan. Add the onion and sauté over medium heat until golden.
- Add the cabbage and wine, then cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the cabbage is limp just beginning to brown lightly, about 10 to 12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the noodles in plenty of rapidly simmering water until just tender. Drain and transfer to a large serving container, then stir in the Earth Balance.
- Add the cabbage mixture and poppy seeds to the noodles and toss gently but thoroughly. Season to taste with salt and lots of pepper, and serve at once.
Calories: 249kcal | Carbohydrates: 38g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 4g | Trans Fat: 1g | Sodium: 312mg | Potassium: 447mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 1589IU | Vitamin C: 48mg | Calcium: 120mg | Iron: 2mg
Vegan-ize any recipe!Grab our free vegan cheat sheet, packed with my favorite easy substitutions to make any recipe vegan.
Leave a Reply