You don’t need a lot of bells and whistles for a fantastic yet Insanely Easy Vegan French Toast recipe. It’s all about the golden-brown surface, cinnamon, and syrup. A nice amount of fruit or fruit salad is always a plus, too. I prefer garbanzo (chickpea) flour, as it yields an nice golden color, and since it's made of bean, is a nice foil to the bread.
Insanely Easy Vegan French Toast
Serves: 2—recipe doubles easily
- ½ cup garbanzo flour or light whole grain flour (such as spelt or whole wheat pastry)
- ¾ cup unsweetened almond milk or other nondairy milk of choice
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- ½ tsp nutritional yeast, optional
- vegan buttery spread (such as Earth Balance)
- 4 average sized slices whole grain bread
- cinnamon, for sprinkling
- seasonal fresh fruit or fruit salad
- maple syrup, for serving
- Combine the flour with the nondairy milk in a shallow bowl and whisk until smooth and lump-free. Adjust with either more milk or more flour, as different flours with have varying degrees of absorption. You want a consistency of what you remember as scrambled eggs.
- Stir in the maple syrup and optional nutritional yeast.
- Heat a wide nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, then add the Earth Balance. Let the skillet get nice and hot, though not to the point where it’s smoking.
Dip each slice of bread into the flour mixture, coating both sides generously but not excessively.
- With the average skillet, you’ll probably be able to cook two slices at a time. Cook each slice on both sides until golden brown and crisp. Keep warm while cooking the next two slices.
- Arrange two slices of the French toast on each plate. Sprinkle with cinnamon, embellish with fruit, and pass around the maple syrup.
Leave a Reply