Looking for a filling, hot breakfast on a workday morning? These single-serve pancakes are ready in less than ten minutes. And the recipe is so easy to remember—1 tablespoon of just about every ingredient! From Living Candida-Free by Ricki Heller. Reprinted with permission from Da Capo Lifelong, © 2015. Photograph by Nicole Axworthy.
- 6 tablespoons allowed milk of choice (unsweetened almond, hemp, flax, etc.)
- 1 teaspoon raw apple cider vinegar
- 5 to 10 drops plain or vanilla pure liquid stevia, or to taste
- 1 tablespoon smooth natural almond butter or sunflower seed butter
- 1 tablespoon whole chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon uncooked quinoa, millet, or amaranth
- 1 tablespoon uncooked whole buckwheat
- 1 tablespoon raw shelled hemp seeds (hemp hearts)
- 1 tablespoon coconut flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch of fine sea salt
- Coconut oil, for pan (optional)
In a medium-size bowl, whisk together the milk, vinegar, stevia, and almond butter until smooth. Set aside.
In a coffee grinder or blender, grind the chia, quinoa, buckwheat, hemp seeds, coconut flour, baking powder, and salt to a powder. Pour the mixture over the wet ingredients in the bowl and stir to blend. It will seem a bit too thick for pancake batter and more like a soft cookie dough. This is as it should be.
Heat a nonstick skillet over medium heat (brush with coconut oil if it has a tendency to stick). Divide the batter in half and place in the skillet (I use an ice-cream scoop), then use a spatula to flatten to about 1/4 inch thick. Cook until the top begins to dry out (about 4 minutes); flip and cook for another 3 to 4 minutes. Serve immediately. May be prepared in advance and frozen. Will keep, frozen, for up to 3 months.
- Here are more Vegan Breakfast Recipes.