This slightly sweet cornbread great complement to refried beans or chili, and is great for snacking and breakfast, too. Contributed by Leslie Cerier. Photos by Tracey Eller.
- 1 cup corn meal
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon Celtic Sea Salt® or other fine sea salt
- ¼ cup + 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil or
melted extra-virgin organic coconut oil,*
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 1 cup apple or pear juice or your favorite non-dairy milk
(soy, rice, almond, etc.)
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Combine the corn meal, flour, baking powder, and salt in a large mixing bowl, and mix together. Make a well in the center and pour in the ¼ cup melted coconut oil, maple syrup, juice or nondairy milk, and vanilla. Stir together until completely blended.
Use the remaining oil to coat a shallow 9-inch round or cake pan. Pour in the batter. Bake for 30 minutes, or until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean.
* Leslie developed this recipe for Nutiva, and recommended Nutiva Organic Extra Virgin Coconut oil, but you can use your favorite brand.
- Here are more Vegan Quick Breads and Scones.
- Sweet tooth still craving? Here are more Vegan Baking and Sweets.
Leave a Reply