This mild and creamy vegan macaroni salad is reminiscent of the kind sold at deli counters, but with more going for it — namely, lots of veggies. Kid- and picky eater-friendly, it's a nice change-of-pace from sandwiches to pack for school or office portable lunches. For this recipe, we used Tolerant gluten-free organic green lentil pasta, just one of several such high-protein, legume-based pastas. Adapted from The Vegetarian Family Cookbook. Photos by Evan Atlas.
Macaroni Salad with Vegetable Confetti
- 1 cup mini-elbow macaroni or other tiny pasta
- ½ red bell pepper finely diced
- ½ cup frozen green peas thawed
- ½ cup cooked fresh or frozen corn kernels thawed
- 1 medium carrot finely diced
- ½ cup vegan mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 2 teaspoons sweet pickle relish
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Cook the in plenty of steadily boiling water until al dente, then drain. Rinse under cool water, then drain again and transfer to a serving container.
- Combine the vegetables with the cooked pasta. Add the mayonnaise, mustard, and relish, and stir together.
- Season gently with salt and pepper. Serve at once or cover and refrigerate until needed.
Variation: You can substitute the veggies listed above with others that your kids might enjoy, such as green beans, broccoli, summer squash, etc., so long as they are cut into very small pieces.
- Explore more recipes for Cool Pasta Salads.
- Here are more Salads Your Kids Might Just Eat!
Leave a Reply