This tasty cold dish of small mushrooms, slender asparagus, and artichoke hearts is good served as an appetizer or first course with thinly sliced baguette. It’s especially nice as a starter for springtime celebrations. Photos by Evan Atlas.
Mushroom, Asparagus, and Artichoke Medley
- 8 ounces small white or brown mushrooms
- 8 to 10 ounces slender asparagus
- 8- ounce jar marinated artichoke hearts drained and quartered
- 1 small zucchini quartered lengthwise and sliced
- 1 large half-sour dill pickle chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 to 2 tablespoons minced fresh dill or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1/2 cup vegan mayonnaise
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Wipe the mushrooms clean and trim the stem bottoms if they look dark or fibrous. If the mushrooms are larger than button size, cut them in half.
- Place the mushrooms in a skillet with just enough water to keep moist; cover and steam over medium heat for two minutes, then drain and let cool.
- Trim the bottoms of the asparagus, then cut the stalks into 1-inch pieces. Using the same skillet, add just enough water to keep the bottom moist, cover, and steam until the asparagus is bright green and tender-crisp. Drain and rinse with cool water.
- Combine the mushrooms and asparagus in a serving container. Add the remaining ingredients and mix gently. Serve at once or refrigerate until needed.
Per serving: Calories: 105; Total fat: 4g; Protein: 3g; Carbs: 9g; Sodium: 121mg