A vegan take on this classic American soup, this mélange of potatoes and fresh corn uses stand-ins for dairy and seafood. Smoke-flavored baked tofu is an excellent replacement for the clams, and any unsweetened nondairy milk gives it a creamy base. Adapted from Vegan Soups and Hearty Stews for All Seasons.
Serves: 6 to 8
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 large celery stalks, finely diced
- 2 tablespoons unbleached white flour
- 4 cups water with 2 vegetable bouillon cubes
- 3 medium red-skinned potatoes, scrubbed and diced
- 3 cups thawed frozen or fresh corn kernels (from 3 large or 4 medium ears)
- 2 teaspoons salt-free seasoning (such as Frontier or Mrs. Dash)
- 1 teaspoon celery salt, optional
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 4 ounces (1/2 package) baked smoke-flavored tofu, finely diced
- 2 cups unsweetened rice or almond milk, or as needed
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Heat the oil in a soup pot. Add the onion and celery and sauté over medium heat until both are golden, about 8 to 10 minutes.
Sprinkle the flour over the onion and celery, a little at a time, and stir in. Slowly stir in the water, then add the bouillon cubes, potatoes, corn, and seasonings. Bring to a rapid simmer, then lower the heat. Cover and simmer gently until the potatoes are tender, about 20 to 25 minutes.
With the back of a wooden spoon, mash a small amount of the potatoes to thicken the base. Stir in the tofu, then add rice or almond milk as needed; the soup should be somewhat thick but not overly dense.
Return to a gentle simmer, and stir in the parsley. Season with salt and pepper. If time allows, let the soup stand off the heat for an hour or two, then heat through before serving.
Per serving: Calories: 229; Fat: 7 g; Protein: 9g; Fiber: 4 g; Carbs: 38g; Sodium: 152mg
- Explore other delicious vegan soup recipes here at Soulful Soups.