Here on VegKitchen, reader come in droves for our posts on ginger-lemon tea, rooibos tea, and apple cider vinegar. These teas, infusions, and tonics are awesome in and of themselves, and if you’re anything like me, you want all of them as part of your regimen!
But how many beverages can a person squeeze into one day added to all the plain water we’re supposed to drink? My solution was to invent the “one tonic,” which combines all of these amazing ingredients in one bracing beverage. And this combo of ginger, lemon, turmeric, rooibos tea, and apple cider vinegar is indeed bracing! If you like these flavors separately, you’ll love them together.
This tonic is also great after holidays and other occasion when you feel like you’ve overindulged, or as a preventive measure against illness during cold and flu season.
This formula makes a bit over a quart, and I like to have two cups full a day a short time before meals. Ginger and ACV are great for aiding digestion! Just make sure to brush your teeth after meals, since ACV can be hard on tooth enamel.
Here are our articles on the benefits of the ingredients of this tonic:
- 5 Reasons Why You Should Drink Ginger-Lemon Tea
- 9 Proven Health Benefits of Rooibos Tea
- 23 Research-Backed Benefits of Apple Cider Vinegar
- How Does Apple Cider Vinegar Help You Lose Weight?
- Turmeric: Research-Backed Health Benefits & Uses
The One Tonic: Turmeric, Ginger, Lemon, Rooibos Tea & ACV
- 2 bags rooibos tea
- 1 cup or so boiling water
- 1- inch piece fresh turmeric sliced (or use ½ to 1 teaspoon dried)
- 1- to 1 ½- inch piece ginger sliced, or 1 tablespoon squeezable ginger
- Juice of ½ to 1 lemon to taste
- 3 to 4 tablespoons organic unfiltered apple cider vinegar
- Pinch of cinnamon optional
- 4 cups fresh water
- Liquid or powdered stevia or other sweetener to taste optional
- Let the two teabags steep in the boiling water for at least 15 minutes.
- If using fresh turmeric and ginger, you might like to do this in a blender. Combine them in the blender with a small amount of water and process until smooth.
- Otherwise, combine dried turmeric, squeezable ginger, lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, optional cinnamon, and the steeped tea in a glass pitcher. Stir up vigorously with a large spoon or butter knife.
- Add the remaining water, then sweeten (or not) as desired.
- Stir the mixture up each time before pouring. Refrigerate unused portions
Photos by Evan Atlas.