Kids of all ages can enjoy this updated comfort food — rice pudding —as a snack or dessert, or even as an offbeat lunch box offering, packed in a thermos. This version is made with brown rice, almond milk, and for extra fruity flavor, crushed pineapple.
Serves: 4 to 6
- 3/4 cup short- or medium- grain brown rice
- 3/4 cup vanilla almond milk
- 1/2 cup dark or golden raisins
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 cup well-drained crushed pineapple
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, plus more for topping
- Pinch of nutmeg
- Combine the rice with 2 1/2 cups water in a medium saucepan. Bring to a simmer, then cover and simmer gently until the water is absorbed, about 30 minutes. When done, stir in the almond milk, and simmer until absorbed.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool for 5 minutes, then stir in the remaining ingredients.
- Divide the rice pudding among 4 serving dishes. Sprinkle each with a little extra cinnamon and serve warm or at room temperature.
Calories: 247; Total fat: 3g; Protein: 3g; Fiber: 2.6g; Carbs: 53g; Sodium: 29mg