This luscious main-dish salad is a crowd-pleaser — it makes a generous portion, and so is a good potluck dish. Brown rice mingles with chewy baked tofu, pineapple chunks, broccoli and bell peppers. Leftovers are great in for portable lunches, packed in a container. Adapted from The Vegetarian Family Cookbook.
- ¾ cup long-grain brown rice (brown basmati is particularly good
or use an exotic rice blend)
- ½ cup vegan mayonnaise, or as desired to moisten
- Juice of ½ to 1 lemon or lime (2 to 4 tablespoons), to taste
- 1 teaspoon good-quality curry powder, or more to taste
- 2 cups fresh pineapple chunks, or one 16-ounce can
unsweetened pineapple chunks, well drained
- 2 cups small bite-sized broccoli florets, steamed until bright green
- 1 medium red bell pepper cut into short, narrow strips
- 8-ounce package baked tofu, cut into narrow strips
- 2 to 3 scallions, thinly sliced, green parts only
- ½ cup raisins
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro or basil leaves, optional
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Gently simmer rice in 2 cups water until absorbed, about 35 minutes. Allow to cool to room temperature
Combine the mayonnaise, lemon juice, and curry powder in a small bowl and whisk together and set aside until needed.
When the rice is done, combine it with the remaining ingredients in a serving container and stir together. Stir in the mayonnaise mixture. Allow to cool to room temperature, then serve.
Per serving: 307 calories; 15g total fat; 35.7g carbs; 4g fiber; 10.2g protein; 216mg sodium;