There’s more to pumpkin juice than just breaking into a haunted pumpkin patch, fending off the zombies, and juicing a pumpkin. This Harry Potter-inspired version simmers spices, fresh ginger and vanilla bean – with apple juice to infuse it. Then it’s blended with soaked dried apricots, pumpkin purée and a little nutmeg. It’s sweetened only with dried apricots. Reprinted with permission from The Ghoulish Gourmet: A Bewitching Collection of Vegan Halloween Recipes by Kathy Hester © 2016 printed with permission.
- 10 dried apricots
- 1½ cups water
- 2 cups apple juice
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 7 whole allspice berries
- 2 (2-inch) pieces thinly sliced ginger
- ½ vanilla bean, split (or ½ teaspoon vanilla extract)
- ½ cup pumpkin puree
- ⅛ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Soak the apricots in the water for at least 4 hours or overnight in the fridge.
- Add the apple juice, cinnamon stick, allspice, ginger and vanilla bean to a saucepan. Bring almost to boil, then turn heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes. Take off heat and let it cool a bit.
- Add the apricots and the soaking water to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Add the pumpkin purée and nutmeg and blend again.
- Strain the apple juice mixture into the blender to make sure only the liquid comes through. Blend until smooth.
- Put a fine mesh strainer over a pitcher and strain the pulp so that only the thick juice drips into the pitcher. Sprinkle with ground nutmeg before serving.
- Here are more Healthy Halloween Treats.
*This post contains affiliate links. If the product is purchased by linking through this review, VegKitchen receives a modest commission, which helps maintain our site and helps it to continue growing!