This pumpkin juice is the ultimate Halloween treat. It's spooky, sweet, and easy to make. And it's vegan friendly too!
There’s more to pumpkin juice than just breaking into a haunted pumpkin patch, fending off the zombies, and juicing a pumpkin.
This Harry Potter-inspired version simmers spices, fresh ginger and vanilla bean – with apple juice to infuse it.
Then it’s blended with soaked dried apricots, pumpkin purée and a little nutmeg. It’s sweetened only with dried apricots!
This recipe comes from The Ghoulish Gourmet: A Bewitching Collection of Vegan Halloween Recipes by Kathy Hester © 2016. Reprinted with permission.
This pumpkin juice is the ultimate Halloween treat. It's spooky, sweet, and easy to make. And it's vegan friendly too!Print Pin Rate Email
Servings: 3 to 4
- 10 dried apricots
- 1½ cups water
- 2 cups apple juice
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 7 whole allspice berries
- 2 2-inch pieces thinly sliced ginger
- ½ vanilla bean split (or ½ teaspoon vanilla extract)
- ½ cup pumpkin puree
- ⅛ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Soak the apricots in the water for at least 4 hours or overnight in the fridge.
- Add the apple juice, cinnamon stick, allspice, ginger and vanilla bean to a saucepan. Bring almost to boil, then turn heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes. Take off heat and let it cool a bit.
- Add the apricots and the soaking water to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Add the pumpkin purée and nutmeg and blend again.
- Strain the apple juice mixture into the blender to make sure only the liquid comes through. Blend until smooth.
- Put a fine mesh strainer over a pitcher and strain the pulp so that only the thick juice drips into the pitcher. Sprinkle with ground nutmeg before serving.
Calories: 162kcal | Carbohydrates: 41g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 18mg | Potassium: 588mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 32g | Vitamin A: 7322IU | Vitamin C: 4mg | Calcium: 56mg | Iron: 2mg
Vegan-ize any recipe!Grab our free vegan cheat sheet, packed with my favorite easy substitutions to make any recipe vegan.
Leave a Reply