The garlic in these Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes adds a big yum factor to a comforting classic. No worries if you're a bit shy of garlic—the garlic is roasted in this recipe to make the garlic flavor mellower and sweeter.
Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes
Mashed potatoes laced with smoky-flavored roasted garlic adds a big yum factor to a comforting classic.Print Pin Rate Email
Servings: 6 to 8
- 1 whole head garlic
- 6 large russet potatoes peeled and diced
- 2 tbsp vegan buttery spread such as Earth Balance, or extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ –½ cup unsweetened rice milk or other nondairy milk
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- scallion thinly sliced or chives, minced, for garnish
- Remove some of the papery outer layers from the garlic but keep the cloves intact. Place on a baking sheet and bake in a 350°F oven or 375°F toaster oven for 40 to 45 minutes, or until the cloves are soft.
- When cool enough to handle, gently separate the cloves from the head of garlic and squeeze the soft pulp out of each clove into a small bowl and discard the outer skin.
- In the meantime, cover the diced potatoes with plenty of water in a large saucepan and bring to a simmer. Simmer steadily but gently, covered, until the potato dice are very tender, about 20 to 25 minutes, then drain.
- In a large, shallow bowl, combine the cooked potato dice with the Earth Balance or olive oil and stir until melted. Add ¼ cup of rice milk and the reserved garlic pulp and mash the potatoes until smooth and fluffy. If needed, add up to an additional ¼ cup of rice milk to loosen the consistency.
- Season with salt and pepper, then transfer to a serving container. Sprinkle some scallion or chives over the top and serve at once, or keep warm until needed.
Calories: 196kcal | Carbohydrates: 39g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 3g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Trans Fat: 1g | Sodium: 41mg | Potassium: 892mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 180IU | Vitamin C: 12mg | Calcium: 29mg | Iron: 2mg
Vegan-ize any recipe!Grab our free vegan cheat sheet, packed with my favorite easy substitutions to make any recipe vegan.
Variation: Substitute a large sweet potatoes for two of the white potatoes.
- Here are more easy, tasty potato recipes.
- Return to A Colorful Vegan Christmas (Vegetarians Welcome!) for a complete listing of holiday dinner recipes, menus, and desserts.
Leave a Reply