This is one of my favorite things to make in the late summer — a gorgeous platter of roasted vegetables that's really less work than it may seem at first glance. It's an extravaganza of flavor, and though it's perfect for late summer or early fall, with these particular veggies there's no reason you can't make it year-round. Substitute or add other vegetables if you'd like — mushrooms, yellow squash, green beans, asparagus ... increase the amount of marinade if need be.
Serves: 6 or more
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- ¼ cup dry white wine
- 1 teaspoon salt-free seasoning, such as Spike or Mrs. Dash
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 long Japanese eggplants, about 1 pound, sliced ½ inch thick (see Note)
- ½ medium red onion, cut into thick slices
- ½ medium zucchini, sliced
- 1 medium yellow or red bell pepper, cut into large chunks
- 4 small tomatoes (such as Roma), quartered
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- 3 to 4 ounces mixed baby greens, optional
Preheat the oven to 425 °F. Line a roasting pan with parchment
Combine the ingredients for the marinade in a small bowl and stir together.
Combine the eggplants and onions in a mixing bowl. Drizzle with about half of the marinade. Transfer to the roasting pan and roast for 10 minutes.
Combine the zucchini and peppers in the mixing bowl. Drizzle with the remaining marinade and add to the roasting pan; stir together with the eggplants and onion. Roast for 10 minutes longer.
Add the tomatoes and continue to roast until all the vegetables are tender and touch with brown.
Remove from the oven and transfer back to the mixing bowl. Season with salt and pepper and stir in the parsley.
Line a large platter with the baby greens if desired. Arrange the roasted vegetables over them. Serve at once, or let cool to room temperature before serving.
Note: If you can't find Japanese eggplants, substitute any small eggplant (try white or the magenta and white streaked varieties), quartered lengthwise.
- Here are more recipes featuring roasted vegetables