It is no surprise that I love to roast vegetables; it always seems to bring out the best in produce. In this vegan bowl recipe, zucchini and mushrooms are roasted to perfection and stirred into a quinoa pilaf that is accented with scallions and arugula. Recipe and photos from Vegan Bowls: Perfect Harmony in Cozy One-Bowl Meals* © 2015 by Zsu Dever. Used by permission from Vegan Heritage Press, LLC.
Roasted Zucchini and Mushroom Pilaf Bowl
In this recipe, zucchini and mushrooms are roasted to perfection and stirred into a quinoa pilaf that is accented with scallions and arugula.Print Pin Rate Email
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 8 ounces cremini or button mushrooms wiped clean and quartered
- 2 medium zucchini quartered and cut into ¾-inch slices
- 1 cup corn kernels thawed and drained if frozen
- 1 ¼ cups vegetable broth
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup quinoa well rinsed
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ cup orzo
- 2 cups water
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 3 cups baby arugula or watercress
- 2 scallions minced
- ½ to 1 serrano chile minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Roast: Preheat the oven to 450°F. Combine the oil, salt and garlic on a baking sheet. Add the mushroom, zucchini, and corn. Mix well and bake until tender and roasted, about 20 minutes, stirring midway through cooking time. If you have more time, roast until the corn is golden, an additional 5 to 10 minutes. Keep warm.
- Quinoa: Heat the broth, salt, quinoa and garlic in a large pot. Cover, bring to boil over high heat, reduce to medium-low heat and cook for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside for 10 minutes to steam. Fluff with fork and set aside.
- Pasta: Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the orzo and cook, stirring frequently, until golden brown. Add the water and salt and bring to boil. Reduce to simmer and cook until tender, 7 to 9 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Greens: Add the orzo to the cooked quinoa. Add the roasted vegetables to the quinoa. Add the arugula, scallions, serrano and lemon juice. Stir well, taste and adjust seasoning with salt and black pepper.
Calories: 397kcal | Carbohydrates: 58g | Protein: 13g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 3g | Monounsaturated Fat: 8g | Sodium: 1123mg | Potassium: 944mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 800IU | Vitamin C: 25mg | Calcium: 92mg | Iron: 3mg
Vegan-ize any recipe!Grab our free vegan cheat sheet, packed with my favorite easy substitutions to make any recipe vegan.
- Here are more vegan bowls from VegKitchen and around the web.
*This post contains affiliate links. If the product is purchased by linking through this review, VegKitchen receives a modest commission, which helps maintain our site and helps it to continue growing!
Leave a Reply