Here’s a simple, classic potato salad made vivid with beets. If you have access to golden beets, by all means, use them. They’re even sweeter than red beets, and keep their vivid color to themselves more than red beets do. Is this salad really Russian? I have no idea; it is really good, though, especially if you like beets!
Russian Beet and Potato Salad
Here’s a simple, classic potato salad made vivid with beets. If you have access to golden beets, by all means, use them. TPrint Pin Rate Email
Servings: 4 to 6
- 2 medium or 1 large beet
- 2 medium-large potatoes 1 pound, scrubbed
- 2 medium carrots diced or sliced
- 1 cup frozen green peas thawed and steamed
- 2 scallions thinly sliced, or small bunch chives, cut into 1-inch sections
- ¼ cup vinaigrette homemade or purchased, as needed, to moisten
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- The easiest way to cook beets is to microwave them whole in a covered container with just a little water at the bottom. Start with 4 minutes, then test and add a minute more at a time until you can pierce through the beet or beets, with a little resistance. If you prefer not to microwave, simply cook the beet or beets whole in a saucepan with plenty of water to cover, simmering gently but steadily until you can pierce through with a bit of resistance, about 10 to 20 minutes depending on the size of the beets.
- Allow the beets to cool, then peel and cut into ½-inch dice.
- For the potatoes, once again, the easiest thing to do is to microwave them until just tender. Otherwise, you can cut the uncooked potatoes into ½-inch dice and simmer in enough water to cover in a medium saucepan until just tender. Drain and allow to cool.
- Once cool, cut the potatoes into ½-inch dice.
- Combine the cooked and cooled potatoes with the remaining ingredients in a serving container. Add the beets last and stir in gently so that they don’t bleed too much into the other ingredients.
- Allow to stand for 20 to 30 minutes if time allows, or serve at once.
Calories: 214kcal | Carbohydrates: 32g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 4g | Monounsaturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 62mg | Potassium: 785mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 5448IU | Vitamin C: 40mg | Calcium: 43mg | Iron: 2mg
Vegan-ize any recipe!Grab our free vegan cheat sheet, packed with my favorite easy substitutions to make any recipe vegan.
- Here are more recipes using beets.
- See more of VegKitchen’s recipes for potato salads.
Per Serving: 134 calories; 27g of carbs, 2g of fat; 5g of protein, 84g of sodium, 5g of sugar
Leave a Reply