You'll love the exotic nutty flavor of this Saffron-Sesame Rice with Pine Nuts. It tastes great with all your favorite mains!
When cooking a rice dish, I like to make extra to have as leftovers. You'll get about two extra servings from this simple brown rice pilaf recipe. Serve your rice as a side for vegan curries, enchiladas, and stir-fries—to name a few.
How to Make Saffron-Sesame Rice with Pine Nuts
- Combine bouillon and water in saucepan.
- Bring to boil, add rice, and cook.
- Cover saucepan and let cool.
- Fill a mug with hot water and steep saffron.
- In a skillet, toast pine nuts.
- Add pine nuts, saffron water, etc. to rice.
Full directions for how to make Saffron-Sesame Rice with Pine Nuts are in the printable recipe card below.
Saffron-Sesame Rice with Pine Nuts FAQs
How long will this dish last?
You can store this dish in your refrigerator for up to 1 week. Make sure to store it in an air-tight container and to reheat it when you're ready to eat it again. You may want to add a bit of water to the rice when you reheat it, just to keep it hydrated.
Can you freeze this rice dish?
You can freeze your leftover saffron rice for later. Simply place it in an air-tight container and store in the freezer up to 3 months. Try to get as little moisture as possible in the rice to avoid ice crystals forming.
For more ways to use brown rice, explore Classic Rice Dishes.
Saffron-Sesame Rice with Pine Nuts
- Combine 2 cups of water and the bouillon cube in a medium saucepan.
- Bring to a boil, stir in the rice, then cover and simmer until the water is absorbed, about 35 minutes.
- Remove from heat and cover.
- Combine the saffron with ¼ cup hot water in a small mug and let steep until needed.
- In a small, dry skillet, toast the pine nuts over medium heat until golden brown—about 5 minutes. Shake or stir skillet frequently.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir the saffron water and pine nuts into the cooked rice, followed by the remaining ingredients.
- Serve at once.
Note: If saffron is unavailable, substitute an equal amount of turmeric.