This simple, basil-scented dressing of salsa and olive oil can be made in no time flat and offers an offbeat alternative for jazzing up all kinds of salads. Photos by Evan Atlas.
Makes about 1 cup
- ⅔ cup salsa, any variety of your choice,
homemade (such as Salsa Ranchera) or store-bought
- ⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil
- Juice of ½ to 1 lemon or lime, to taste (2 to 4 tablespoons)
- 6 to 8 fresh basil leaves, finely chopped
Combine the ingredients in a cruet and shake well, or in a small bowl and stir well. If the salsa is very chunky, you may want to first whirl the ingredients in a food processor or process briefly with an immersion blender.
Refrigerate whatever is not used at once; bring to room temperature before using.
Per 2-tablespoon serving: 90 calories; 9g fat; 130mg sodium; 1g carbs; 0g fiber; 0g protein
- See VegKitchen’s selection of Classic Salad Dressings.