This wine-scented dish of red cabbage and onion is a cheering winter recipe, and a simple side dish for everyday and holiday meals.
Sautéed Red Cabbage
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large red onion quartered and sliced
- 6 cups thinly shredded red cabbage
- ¼ cup dry red wine
- 3 to 4 tablespoons apple cider vinegar to taste
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup or agave nectar
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a large skillet or 3-quart saucepan. Add the onion and sauté until golden.
- Add the cabbage, wine, and vinegar. Cover and sauté until tender-crisp, about 12 minutes, lifting the lid to stir occasionally.
- Stir in the maple syrup and sauté over very low heat, stirring occasionally, another 8 to 10 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper, then transfer to a serving container. Cover and keep warm until serving.
Per serving: Calories: 78; Total fat: 2g; Protein: 1g; Carbs: 10g; Sodium: 8mg
- Find more recipes for Cabbages and Lettuces — Beyond Salad.