This simple seitan stir-fry is great choice for hearty appetites, and a warming dish for nippy evenings. Lots of red onion adds great flavor, and the mushrooms bolster the "meaty" quality of the seitan. Photos by Evan Atlas.
Seitan, Mushroom, and Onion Stir-Fry
- 2 tablespoons safflower or other neutral vegetable oil
- 2 large red onions quartered and sliced
- 2 to 3 cloves garlic minced
- 8 to 10 ounces baby bella cremini, or portabella mushrooms, sliced
- 1 to 1 ½ pounds seitan cut into bite-sized chunks
- 2 tablespoons natural low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 to 1 ½ cups frozen green peas thawed
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a large skillet or stir-fry pan. Add the onions and sauté over medium heat until golden. Add the mushrooms, then cover and cook until they are done to your liking, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Stir in the seitan and soy sauce Turn the heat up to medium-high and stir-fry until the seitan chunks are touched by golden-brown spots.
- Stir in the peas and stir fry for a minute or so longer. Season with pepper and serve.
- Mushroom lovers, rejoice! Here are more mushroom recipes for you.
- Here are more recipes for onions, garlic, and leeks.
- Here are more easy seitan recipes.
- Find more of VegKitchen’s Vegan Dinner Recipes and more Seitan Main Dishes.