If you like tahini and sesame seeds, this crunchy cookie is sure to please. It's one of those neat, not-too-sweet treats that's perfect for an evening snack or for the lunchbox. The recipe doubles easily for those occasions, such as holidays, when you need more or would like to share. This recipe makes 16 to 20 cookies, depending on how much you drop onto the baking sheet each time. For a larger batch, this doubles easily. Photos by Evan Atlas.
Sesame-Crispy Rice Cookies
If you like tahini and sesame seeds, this crunchy cookie is sure to please. It's one of those neat, not-too-sweet treats that's perfect for an evening snack or for the lunchbox.Print Pin Rate Email
Servings: 8 to 10
- ¾ cup whole wheat pastry flour
- ⅓ cup sesame seeds
- 1 cup crispy brown rice cereal
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ cup applesauce
- 2 heaping tablespoons sesame tahini
- ¼ maple syrup or agave nectar
- ½ cup dried cranberries raisins, or currants
- Whole toasted almonds or tamari almonds optional
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine the first 6 (dry) ingredients in a mixing bowl and stir together.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and add the applesauce, tahini, and syrup. Stir together until the wet and dry ingredients are completely mixed.
- If need be, stir in another tablespoon or so of applesauce to moisten the mixture. The dough should be rather stiff, but hold together easily. Sir in the dried fruit of choice.
- Drop by slightly rounded tablespoons onto a parchment-lined or lightly oiled baking sheet, Flatten slightly to form cookies that are about 1 ½ inches in diameter. If you'd like, press an almond into the center of each.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, or until the bottoms are lightly browned. Let stand for a minute or two, then carefully remove with a spatula to plates to cool.
Calories: 111kcal | Carbohydrates: 19g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 108mg | Potassium: 83mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 4IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 68mg | Iron: 1mg
Vegan-ize any recipe!Grab our free vegan cheat sheet, packed with my favorite easy substitutions to make any recipe vegan.
- Sweet tooth still craving? Here are more Vegan Baking and Sweets.
- Explore more of VegKitchen’s Vegan Cookies and Bars.
Leave a Reply