When you have some leftover brown rice, this main-dish rice and bean salad, filled with great southwestern flavors, is a super way to make use of it. Plus, it's a snap to make. With some vegan quesadillas or nachos, and a green vegetable, this becomes the centerpiece of an enjoyable everyday meal.
Serves: 4 to 6
- 2 to 2 ½ cups cold cooked brown rice
- 1 medium red or orange bell pepper, cut into narrow 1- to 1 1/ 2-inch strips
- 1 medium firm ripe avocado, diced
- 15- to 16-ounce can pinto, black, red, or kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro, more or less to taste
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 small hot fresh chili pepper (such as jalapeño),
or 1 mild fresh chili pepper (such as poblano)
- 1 teaspoon good-quality chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Juice of ½ to 1 lime (2 to 4 tablespoons), to taste
- 1 to 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, as desired
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Combine all the ingredients in a serving container and toss until thoroughly mixed. Let stand for a few minutes for the flavors to mingle, then serve.
Per serving: Calories: 252; Total fat: 10g; Protein: 7g; Fiber: 8g; Carbs: 36g; Sodium: 9 mg
- Find more of VegKitchen’s Vegan Dinner Recipes and more Main-Dish Salads.
- Here is a wide array of grain salads.
Leave a Reply