When did we all fall under the spell of microwave popcorn? Make your own, because it’s cheaper and better for you. Afraid you’ll burn it? You already burn it in the microwave, so you really have nothing to lose. This makes about 8 cups of popcorn. Reprinted from Thug Kitchen © 2014 by Thug Kitchen, LLC, by permission of Rodale Books.
Stovetop Herb Popcorn
- 2 teaspoons nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme or dill
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ tablespoons high-heat oil like grapeseed or refined coconut oil
- ½ cup dried corn kernels
- 1 ½ tablespoon olive oil
- 1/8 teaspoon salt optional
- Make the herb topping. Mix together the nutritional yeast, dried herbs, garlic powder, and salt in a small bowl.
- Make the popcorn: In a large stockpot, heat the high-heat oil over medium heat. Add a couple kernels of corn, put on the lid, and shake it around every now and then. Once one of them pops that means your pan is ready. This might take up to a minute and a half.
- When the pan is hot, add the rest of the kernels and cover with a lid. If you have a glass lid, use it so you can spy on the corn. Shake the pan around every couple of seconds to keep the kernels from burning. It’s like stirring without releasing all the heat. If they don’t start popping within the first 30 seconds, turn your heat up just a bit. Once you hear more than a couple seconds between pops, turn off the heat. See, that took no time at all.
- Pour the popcorn into a big bowl. Pour the olive oil all over that and stir it around to try and get a bunch covered.
- Sprinkle in that herb blend and toss it around. Taste and add another 1/8 teaspoon salt if that is your thing. This keeps for a couple days in an airtight container if you have the self-control.
- Here are more tasty vegan snacks and dips.
*This post contains affiliate links. If the product is purchased by linking through this review, VegKitchen receives a modest commission, which helps maintain our site and helps it to continue growing!