This simply yet tasty salad of yellow summer squash and broccoli goes well with veggie burgers, pasta dishes, and spicy grain or bean dishes. And— dare I say it—this might be just the kind of salad to entice younger eaters, helped along with the hint of sweetness from pickle relish.
Serves: 4 to 6
- 1 medium zucchini or yellow summer squash, quartered lengthwise and diced
- 2 cups finely chopped broccoli florets, lightly steamed if desired
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cut into short, narrow strips
- 2 scallions, green parts only, thinly sliced, or fresh chives as desired
- 1/4 cup sweet pickle relish
- 1/4 cup homemade Sesame-Ginger Salad Dressing, or store-bought, or more, to taste
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Sunflower seeds for topping, optional
Combine all the ingredients except the sunflower seeds in a serving bowl and stir well to mix. Let stand for 20 to 30 minutes.
Scatter sunflower seeds over the top of the salad, or pass them around, then serve.