This tasty mix featuring pretzels, nuts, and dried cranberries in a sweet and savory glaze is an easy snack or appetizer to make for the winter holiday season. It's also good for munching on while watching movies or sports. This recipe makes about 5 cups. Photos by Evan Atlas.
Sweet and Savory Nuts and Pretzels
This tasty mix featuring pretzels, nuts, and dried cranberries in a sweet and savory glaze is an easy snack to make for the winter holiday season.Print Pin Rate Email
Servings: 8 to 10
- 2 tbsp reduced-sodium soy sauce to taste
- 3 tbsp maple syrup or agave nectar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- 1 –2 tsp BBQ spice or mesquite seasoning see note
- 2 cups nuts shelled, dry-roasted, and unsalted (a mixture of peanuts, cashews, and almonds is good, or just start with mixed nuts)
- 3 cups small pretzels preferably whole grain and salt-free
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- Preheat the oven to 275°F.
- Combine the first 4 ingredients in a large mixing bowl and stir or whisk well to combine.
- Stir in the nuts and pretzels and toss quickly to coat them evenly.
- Spread on a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake for 15 to 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until the coating is fairly dry.
- Let cool, then break apart any sections that have clumped together.
- Stir in the cranberries, then transfer to a couple of serving bowls, or store in containers at room temperature until needed.
Calories: 402kcal | Carbohydrates: 52g | Protein: 10g | Fat: 20g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 4g | Monounsaturated Fat: 12g | Sodium: 518mg | Potassium: 273mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 16g | Vitamin A: 9IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 37mg | Iron: 3mg
Vegan-ize any recipe!Grab our free vegan cheat sheet, packed with my favorite easy substitutions to make any recipe vegan.
Note: Find these seasonings among the BBQ blends in the spice section of supermarkets and natural foods stores. If you can't find it, use 1 teaspoon chili powder.
- Here are more recipes and menu ideas for a Vegetarian and Vegan-Friendly Thanksgiving.
- Explore VegKitchen’s selection of flavorful snacks and dips.
What temperature, please?
Oops, sorry about that Bridget, and thanks for noticing! The first instruction was cut off, and it's been reinstated. The correct temperature is 275 degrees F.
Thanks so much for your prompt reply Nava. I'm going to try this over the weekend-sounds so yummy!