This tasty mix featuring pretzels, nuts, and dried cranberries in a sweet and savory glaze is an easy snack or appetizer to make for the winter holiday season. It's also good for munching on while watching movies or sports. This recipe makes about 5 cups. Photos by Evan Atlas.
Sweet and Savory Nuts and Pretzels
- 2 tbsp reduced-sodium soy sauce to taste
- 3 tbsp maple syrup or agave nectar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- 1 –2 tsp BBQ spice or mesquite seasoning see note
- 2 cups nuts shelled, dry-roasted, and unsalted (a mixture of peanuts, cashews, and almonds is good, or just start with mixed nuts)
- 3 cups small pretzels preferably whole grain and salt-free
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- Preheat the oven to 275°F.
- Combine the first 4 ingredients in a large mixing bowl and stir or whisk well to combine.
- Stir in the nuts and pretzels and toss quickly to coat them evenly.
- Spread on a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake for 15 to 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until the coating is fairly dry.
- Let cool, then break apart any sections that have clumped together.
- Stir in the cranberries, then transfer to a couple of serving bowls, or store in containers at room temperature until needed.
Note: Find these seasonings among the BBQ blends in the spice section of supermarkets and natural foods stores. If you can't find it, use 1 teaspoon chili powder.