You will love the flavor of this Sweet & Tangy Beet Salad with Beet Greens. Not only is it delicious, but it's also healthy and reduces waste!
This salad is a good way to combine beets with their nourishing greens. Both are lightly cooked and dressed in a sweet and tangy dressing. Serve this salad alongside any of your favorite mains—pasta, casserole, or soup!
How to Make Sweet & Tangy Salad with Beet Greens
- Separate greens from beets.
- Rinse & microwave beets.
- Clean, cut, and steam beet greens.
- Combine beets, greens, scallions, and dill in bowl.
- Mix up dressing and toss with salad.
- Add optional seeds and season.
- Refrigerate salad before serving.
Full directions for how to make Sweet & Tangy Salad with Beet Greens are in the printable recipe card below.
Sweet & Tangy Salad with Beet Greens FAQs
How long does this salad last?
This salad will last up to 5 days in the refrigerator. Make sure to store it in an air-tight container. However, I recommend eating it the day you make it, or at the most one day later, to prevent the salad from getting too soggy.
What can I use in place of beets?
This salad is really built around beets, but you can substitute other ingredients if beets aren't really your thing or you don't have any on hand. The beet greens can be swapped out with any kind of leafy greens. The beets, on the other hand, can be swapped out with any or your favorite veggies—bell peppers, mushrooms, carrot slices, etc.
Here are lots of other recipes using beets.
Sweet & Tangy Beet Salad with Beet Greens
- 1 large bunch beets consisting of 4–5 good-sized beets with a good quantity of greens
- 2 scallions thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp fresh dill minced
- 2 tbsp apple juice or cider
- 1 lemon juiced, to taste
- 1 tbsp agave nectar or other liquid sweetener, to taste
- 2 tsp sesame seeds or hemp or chia seeds; optional
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Separate the greens from the beets about 1 inch from where they begin.
- Rinse the beets, then cook or microwave them until tender. The cooking time will vary widely depending on their size and age. Let the beets cool.
- When the beets are cool, trim the stem ends, then peel, quarter, and slice them.
- Meanwhile, wash the greens well, cut the leaves away from the stems, and discard the stems.
- Slice the leaves into ribbons, then steam with a very small amount of water in a saucepan or skillet until bright green and just tender, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Place in a colander, rinse briefly with cool water, then squeeze out as much liquid as possible.
- Combine beets in a mixing bowl with the greens, scallions, and dill.
- Combine the apple juice, lemon juice, and honey in a small bowl and stir together. Pour over the beets and toss.
- Add the optional seeds and season gently with salt and pepper to your taste—you might not need any! Toss well again.
- Refrigerate salad for at least an hour before serving, or make it a day ahead of time.