This sweet and spicy stew is a fun and unusual take on chili. And if you happen to have leftovers, it tastes even better a day or two later. Kelp may seem like an unusual ingredient here, but it has several benefits: it makes the beans more digestible, and it also contains flavor-enhancing compounds and loads of minerals and vitamins. Copyright © 2010 Gluten-Free Recipes for the Conscious Cook* by Leslie Cerier (New Harbinger, Inc). All rights reserved. Used by permission of the publisher and author.
Sweet Potato and Black Bean Chili with Tomatillos
- 1 cup dried black beans soaked overnight
- 1 tablespoon kelp flakes or 1 (3-inch) piece of kelp
- 4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon or 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 cayenne pepper seeded and minced, or 1 teaspoon dried chili flakes
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin coconut oil
- 1 ½ cups chopped red onions
- 3 cups peeled grated sweet potatoes
- 4 cups quartered tomatillos
- 3 ½ cups diced tomatoes
- 4 cups fresh or frozen corn kernels
- 1 ½ cups tightly packed chopped cilantro
- 2 cloves garlic pressed
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 ½ teaspoons sea salt
- Drain and rinse the beans, then put them in a large soup pot with the kelp, water, cinnamon, and cayenne. Bring to a boil over high heat, then lower the heat, cover, and simmer.
- Heat the oil in a medium-size skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and sweet potatoes and sauté over medium heat for about 10 minutes, until the yams soften and take on a brighter orange color.
- Add the sauté to the soup pot and continue to simmer for about 45 minutes, until the beans are soft.
- Stir in the tomatillos and tomatoes. Simmer for about 10 minutes, until the tomatillos almost melt into the stew.
- Stir in the corn, cilantro, garlic, cumin, and salt. Taste and adjust the seasonings if desired.
*This post contains affiliate links. If the product is purchased by linking through this review, VegKitchen receives a modest commission, which helps maintain our site and helps it to continue growing!
- Here are more bean stews and chilies.
- Here are more of VegKitchen’s Vegan Dinner Recipes and more Main Dishes Featuring Grains and/or Beans.
Great combination of flavors. I will make this often as tomatillos grow plentiful here. The potato and cinnamon are a nice combination. I served this with toasted pecans on top.
Excellent! The combination of cinnamon, sweet potatoes, and tomatillos is so satisfying. I served toasted pecans on top.