Here's a vegan version of the very slightly sweet, traditional Southern sweet potato biscuits. They're a perfect companion to hearty vegetable or bean stews, and a nice addition to Thanksgiving or Christmas menus. Or, just enjoy them for breakfast or as a not-too-sweet companion to a cup of coffee or tea. This makes about a dozen; or more if making smaller biscuits. Photos by Hannah Kaminsky.
Sweet Potato Biscuits
Here's a vegan version of the very slightly sweet, traditional Southern sweet potato biscuits.Print Pin Rate Email
- 1 ¾ cups whole wheat pastry flour
- ½ cup unbleached white flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons vegan buttery spread such as Earth Balance
- ⅓ cup unsweetened nondairy milk
- 1 cup well-mashed sweet potato
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- ¼ cup finely chopped walnuts or pecans optional
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- In a mixing bowl, sift together the flours, baking powder and salt. Work the buttery spread in with the tines of a fork until the mixture has the texture of a coarse meal.
- Add the nondairy milk and sweet potato and work them in to form a soft dough.
- Turn the dough out onto a well-floured board and knead for 2 to 3 minutes, adding a small amount of flour if the dough is too sticky.
- You can either roll the dough out and cut into 2- to 3-inch circles, gathering up and rolling out remaining dough until used; or divide the dough into 12 or more equal pieces and shape into balls, then flatten each lightly.
- Arrange on a parchment-lined baking sheet and pat them down a bit to flatten. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of one tests clean. Transfer the biscuits to a rack or plate to cool.
Calories: 139kcal | Carbohydrates: 23g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Trans Fat: 1g | Sodium: 206mg | Potassium: 130mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 1708IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 65mg | Iron: 1mg
Vegan-ize any recipe!Grab our free vegan cheat sheet, packed with my favorite easy substitutions to make any recipe vegan.
- Here are more Vegan Quick Breads and Scones.
Leave a Reply