These Vegan Blackberry Cookies are extra soft, thanks to the coconut milk. The marriage of the blackberries and orange flavors in this recipe is to die for. For this recipe I used fresh blackberries and would not recommend using frozen one as they might soak the cookies.
- 1/2 cup vegan butter or margarine
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
- 1 flax egg 2 tbsp ground flax seeds mixed with 3 tbsp water
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- zest of 2 oranges
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup fresh blackberries
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp coconut milk
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- In a bowl, combine butter, orange zest, sugar, and brown sugar with an electric mixer until smooth and creamy.
- Add vanilla extract and flax egg. Beat well.
- Sieve together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add to wet mixture, alternating with the coconut milk, and mix well.
- Gently stir in the blackberries, being careful not to crush them.
- Refrigerate the dough for 2 hours.
- Make balls the size of a golf ball, and place them on cookie sheets lined with silicone mats.
- Bake in the top of the oven, 12 to 15 minutes.
- Let cookies stand 5 minutes on the cookie sheet before placing on a rack. Let them cool completely. During that time mix powdered sugar and coconut milk in a bowl.
- Pour the frosting over the top of the cookies with a spoon.