This recipe for Vegan Bolognese Sauce is a meat-free version of the classic Italian pasta sauce. The secret ingredient? Lentils! You can prepare the sauce in advance, then let it cool down and put it in airtight containers. It will keep for up to 3 days in the refrigerator or up to 3 months in the freezer.
Vegan Bolognese Sauce
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion cubed
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- 1 cup dried red lentils rinsed
- 1 28 oz / 796 mL can crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp fresh oregano chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley chopped
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat.
- Add onion and garlic. Cook, stirring, for about 3 minutes or until softened.
- Add pepper and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes.
- In the saucepan, add lentils, tomatoes, tomato sauce, water, tomato paste, salt, and pepper. Mix well.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce to low heat, cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, 40 to 50 minutes or until sauce has thickened.
- Stir in oregano and parsley and continue cooking for 10 minutes.