Veggie lovers will devour this new take on a vegan power taco filled with roasted cauliflower, crispy chickpeas, and flavorful cilantro pesto. As an added bonus, it’s also gluten-free. This delicious dish gives you a great excuse to celebrate Cinco de Mayo, coming up on May 5 (and follow this link for more recipes for celebrating Cinco de Mayo, vegan style). Recipe contributed by the Betty Crocker company. (Isn’t it cool that they’re developing vegan recipes?) If you'd like, pass around your favorite salsa to top these, or as a VegKitchen reader suggests in the first comment below, some homemade Cashew Cream.
Vegan Cauliflower Power Tacos
Makes: 8 tacos, 4 generous servings of 2 per person, or 8 moderate servings.
- 1 medium head cauliflower, separated into florets
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 (15 oz) can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained, rinsed
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp chili powder
- ¼ tsp ground cumin
- ¼ tsp ground oregano
- 2 cups fresh cilantro leaves
- ⅓ cup pepitas (toasted pumpkin seeds)
- 1 very small clove garlic, cut in half
- 2 tbsp chopped jalapeño chiles
- 2 tbsp fresh lime juice
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 8 gluten-free white corn tortillas, heated as directed on package
- Heat oven to 425°F.
- Place cauliflower florets in large bowl. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons oil; sprinkle with ½ teaspoon salt. Stir until evenly coated. Arrange on large cookie sheet. Bake 15 minutes; stir. Bake 15 to 20 minutes longer or until cauliflower is tender and browned.
- Meanwhile, mix crispy chickpeas ingredients. Spread on 15 x 10 x 1-inch pan. Bake 15 minutes; stir. Bake 10 to 15 minutes longer or until chick peas are slightly browned and crispy.
- Meanwhile, in food processor, place all pesto ingredients except oil. Cover; process using quick on-and-off motions. With food processor running, slowly drizzle in ¼ cup oil through feed tube, stopping halfway through to stir mixture with spatula. Remove pesto to small bowl.
- Spoon about 1 tablespoon pesto on each tortilla; top with about ½ cup roasted cauliflower and 1 tablespoon crispy chick peas. Garnish with fresh cilantro, if desired. Serve with remaining chickpeas.
Per Serving: 535 calories; 56g carbs; 31g fat; 13g protein; 1262mg sodium; 5g sugar
- For lots more Southwestern-style recipes, go to A Southwestern Supper.
- Find more of VegKitchen’s Vegan Dinner Recipes and more Burritos, Enchiladas, And Tortilla Dishes.
Northwest Herbivore says
Wow, that sounds delicious, if maybe a little dry. I bet it would be great with some cashew crema or tangy salsa.
This was AWESOME. My husband and 6 year old daughter loved it as well (the dogs loved it, too, but they aren't necessarily discriminating!). Thank you for this excellent recipe - I love how the combos are not expected. I substituted sunflower seeds for the pepitas since I had them on hand, but it was still amazing.
So glad you and yours enjoyed this, Tamera!
I initially was a little skeptical of cauliflower tacos. But this recipe rocked my socks! It was even good as leftovers for lunch at work the next day. I used english walnuts instead of pepitas.
Thanks, Nick. It's a sign of the times when Betty Crocker's people are developing recipes to share on sites such as this. I like your tweak of using English walnuts. Sounds delicious and substantial!
Yum, going to make these tonight. Not a fan of cilantro, going to make an avocado dressing as a replacement.
Heidi, that sounds wonderful, and of course, any recipe should suit your personal taste!
My roommate and I tried this recipe out and it was AMAZING! To be honest, these were the best tacos I've ever had- one of my favorite new recipes. I'm not used to baking cauliflower but doing that along with the chick peas was an unexpectedly delicious treat.
So glad you enjoyed this, and I enjoy the delicious irony of the Betty Crocker company contributing one of the most popular and enjoyable vegan recipes on this site. If Betty can "go vegan," anyone can!
DEAN SLAWEK says
These are great. Thank you very much
Glad you enjoyed this, Dean!
Carlos At Spoonabilities says
Looks delicious! I just started to eat more vegetables and less animal protein. Good recipe for me to try pretty soon.
Slani brzi recepti says
Great option for a veg recipe!! It tasted great with a perfect amount of spices.