This type of sushi is called makizushi (sushi roll). It comes in the form of a roll of dried nori seaweed stuffed with various foods, especially raw fish, but in this vegan recipe it’s filled with vegetables!
- ½ cup rice vinegar
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp white sugar
- 2 cups sushi rice cooked
- 1 cucumber julienned
- 1 carrot grated
- 1 celery stalk julienned
- nori seaweed leafs
- In a small saucepan, pour the vinegar, salt, and sugar. Heat until the sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat and cool before using.
- Pour sauce into the rice and stir gently to coat each grain.
- Reserve the rice in bowls covered with a damp cloth to prevent it from drying.
- Put a sheet of nori seaweed on a bamboo mat. Garnish seaweed with rice, press down, and leave a 1 cm strip at the top end.
- Garnish with vegetables of your choice—taking care not to put in too much—placing the filling at the bottom of the nori leaf, the side closest to you.
- Roll sushi with the help of the bamboo mat. Exert some pressure to make sure you get a firm roll that stands up well. If the roll is too loose, the fillings will fall out when the roll is cut
- Place the finished rolls on a plate and cover with plastic wrap or a damp cloth until you cut them for serving.