If salads aren’t your thing, try this one, which may change your mind. Potatoes add comfort, and black beans add flavor and protein. The potatoes and beans synergize nicely in this offbeat salad, embellished with artichokes and bell peppers. The liquid from the artichoke hearts provides lots of flavor. Photos by Rachael Braun.
Potato and Black Bean Salad
- 4 medium red-skinned or Yukon Gold potatoes or substitute 1 sweet potato for 2 of the regular potatoes
- 15- to 16- ounce can black beans drained and rinsed
- 6- to 8- ounce jar marinated artichoke hearts quartered, with liquid as needed
- One medium red bell pepper cut into short, narrow strips
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 2 scallions thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons red or white wine vinegar or more, to taste
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Mixed baby greens optional
- Pumpkin or sunflower seeds for garnish optional
- Microwave or bake the potatoes until done but still firm. Plunge into a bowl of cool water until just cool enough to handle. Alternatively you can just dice the uncooked potatoes and steam in a saucepan with enough water to keep moist, until done but still firm.
- Combine the beans, artichoke hearts, bell pepper, parsley, and scallions in a serving container.
- Peel and dice the potatoes and add them to the bean mixture. Drizzle in the vinegar, and season with salt and pepper.
- Serve at once, while the potatoes are still warm, if possible, though this is also good at room temperature.
- Place each serving on a small bed of greens, and sprinkle with some seeds, if desired.
Per serving: 208 calories; 4g fat; 36g carbs; 4g fiber; 9g protein; 460mg sodium