Some nights are so cold it’s hard to tear yourself away from the fire to make dinner. This is the recipe you need to make, perfect for your Instant Pot — winter one-pot lentils and rice. It’s hearty, filling, and uses staples from your pantry. Plus, there’s only about 10 minutes of hands-on time, then you can go back to the couch and curl up under a throw until it’s ready to eat. Recipe and photos by Kathy Hester, fromThe Ultimate Vegan Cookbook for Your Instant Pot © 2017. Published by Page Street Publishing, reprinted by permission.
Winter One-Pot Lentils and Rice
- 1 tablespoon oil
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic minced
Pressure cooker ingredients
- 3½ cups water
- 1½ cups uncooked brown rice
- 1 cup uncooked brown lentils
- 1 cup peeled and diced rutabaga turnip,or potato
- 2 inch sprig fresh rosemary
- 1 tablespoon dried marjoram or thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
- For the sauté, use the sauté setting over normal, or medium heat, and heat the oil or broth. Add the onion and sauté until transparent, 5 minutes. Then add the garlic and sauté a minute more.
- For the pressure cooker, add the water, brown rice, lentils, rutabaga, rosemary and marjoram to the onion mixture and stir to combine.
- Put the lid on and make sure that the vent is sealed. Cook on manual setting at high pressure and set for 23 minutes.
- Let the pressure release naturally. Season with salt and pepper before serving and add more marjoram and ground rosemary as needed.
What's an Instant Pot?
It's a stand-alone plug-in appliance that wears a lot of hats. The settings are: pressure cooker, rice cooker, slow cooker, yogurt maker, steamer, saute, and it keeps your cooked food warm.
Instant Pot is a brand of multicookers that is very popular and has a stainless steel insert so there's no non-stick coating that can come off in your food.
People are raving about it because you can cook whole food in less time than on the stove. I like that you don't have to stand there in front of it while it's cooking, but can tidy up, take a walk, or relax with a drink before dinner!
- Here are more recipes for Lentils and Peas.
*This post contains affiliate links. If the product is purchased by linking through this review, VegKitchen receives a modest commission, which helps maintain our site and helps it to continue growing!