Fresh mint and lemon add zest to this simple zucchini stir-fry; carrot contributes extra color. Adapted from Stir Crazy!* by Susan Jane Cheney.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large carrot, julienned (thick matchsticks)
- 4 small or 2 medium zucchini, julienned (thick matchsticks)
- 2 scallions, sliced thin on a diagonal
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice, or more, to taste
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh mint, or more, to taste
- Salt to taste
Set a stir-fry pan over medium-high heat. Pour the oil around the rim and swirl it to coat the sides. Add the carrot and stir-fry for 2 to 3 minutes.
Add the zucchini and scallions and continue stir-frying for one to two minutes, until the carrot and zucchini are both ender. Grind in black pepper and stir-fry briefly.
Remove the pan from the heat and add the lemon juice, mint, and salt to taste. Serve immediately.
Variation: For even more zip, add a seeded and minced chile pepper (such as jalapeño) at the same time as the zucchini.
- Enjoy VegKitchen’s selection of recipes for zucchini and other summer squashes.