Spanish Garbanzo Stew
This classic recipe is easy and quick to prepare using good quality canned chickpeas (as we more commonly refer to garbanzos). Serve with fresh bread and a simple homemade coleslaw. Adapted fromVegan Soups and Hearty Stews for All Seasons.
Serves: 6 to 8
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 to 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large green bell pepper, cut into short, slender strips
- Two 15- to 16-ounce cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- One 28-ounce can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley, plus more for topping
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Hot cooked rice, optional
Heat the oil in a large soup pot. Add the onion and sauté over medium-low heat until translucent. Add the garlic and green pepper and continue to sauté until all are golden.
Add the chickpeas, tomatoes, cumin, oregano, thyme, and 1 1/2 cups water. Bring to a rapid simmer, then lower the heat. Cover and simmer gently for 20 minutes.
Stir in the parsley and season sparingly with salt and generously with pepper. Adjust the consistency if more water is needed, but let the stew remain thick.
Serve the in bowls on its own or over a small amount of hot cooked rice, if desired, and pass around some extra parsley for topping each serving.Print This Post