Sweet Potato Tzimmes

Sweet Potato Tzimmes

An Eastern European standard, tzimmes is a roasted vegetable dish that is made a number of ways, depending on the occasion. For the Jewish New Year, Rosh Hashana, the appropriate ingredients include carrots and sweet potatoes, with the added sweetness of fresh and dried fruits. Recipe adapted from Vegan Holiday Kitchen. Photo by Susan Voisin, FatFree Vegan Kitchen.

Serves: 8

• 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 cup chopped onions
  • 3 large carrots, sliced
  • 3 large sweet potatoes, cooked or microwaved in their skins,
    then peeled and sliced
  • 1 large apple or pear, cored and sliced
  • 1/2 cup chopped prunes
  • 1/4 cup chopped dried apricots
  • 1/2 cup orange juice
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon each: ground ginger and salt
  • 1/3 to 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, optional

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Heat the oil in a large skillet. Sauté the onions over medium heat until they are translucent. Add the carrots and continue to sauté until onions and carrots are golden.

In a mixing bowl, combine the onion-carrot mixture with all the remaining ingredients except walnuts. Mix thoroughly; don’t worry if the potato slices break apart.

Transfer the mixture to a large, oiled, shallow baking dish (a round or oval shape is attractive). Sprinkle the optional walnuts over the top. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes, or until the top begins to turn slightly crusty.

image_pdfimage_print

8 Responses to “Sweet Potato Tzimmes”

1. Caroline says:

This is my go-to tzimmes recipe for all the Jewish holidays. My family and guest just love it. I will be making some for Passover. Thanks, Nava, for all your wonderful recipes for the Jewish holidays!

2. Nava says:

Thanks, Caroline! I often think of this as a Rosh Hashanah dish but it definitely works for Passover as well. Happy holiday–

3. It’s funny but in my family, tsimmes is a Passover thing! I so want to try your version this holiday Nava, based on Caroline’s rave reviews.

4. Nava says:

It’s true, a lot of families do like tzimmes for Passover. While it’s a bit autumnal as far as ingredients, the sweet flavor is perfect for the symbolism of the Passover meal. Happy holiday to you, Wendy.

5. wendy (healthy girls kitchen) says:

Nava, I just had to pop in and tell you that I am making this again this year for Passover. I absolutely loved it last year!

6. Nava says:

Thanks, Wendy! I hope you enjoy it again. I’m overdue to revisit this Tzimmes recipe.

7. Rachel Atlas says:

I found the recipe I was looking for, was scrolling down the page…your name – ATLAS – is the same as mine. It’s not that common so it really struck me. Now, I will follow your recipe for sure – How could I go wrong with an Atlas…Happy Holidays to you and yours.

8. Nava says:

Hi Rachel — it’s true, there really aren’t that many of us, despite how cool the name is! Thanks for connecting …