Ethiopian Stewed Seasoned Cabbage in Golden Tomato Sauce
If you’re looking for new cabbage recipes, this recipe is a great alternative to slaw or stuffed cabbage. When cabbage is cooked down, as it is here, it becomes a very tender, almost buttery, sweet vegetable. Called Ye’tikil gomen be’timatim in Ethiopian, it’s perfect to serve with inejra or Quick Teff Crêpes. Recipe and photo from Teff Love: Adventures in Vegan Ethiopian Cooking* by Kittee Berns © 2015, Book Publishing Company, reprinted by permission. See also Tender Kale with Carrots, Onion, and Mild Spices as a filling. For complete how-to on making authentic Ethiopian injera (the spongy moist flatbread shown in the photo), refer to the aforementioned book!
- 1 cup white or yellow onion, slivered and cut into ¼-inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic, pressed or grated (1 tablespoon)
- 2 teaspoons peeled and grated fresh ginger
- ½ teaspoon salt, plus more if desired
- ½ green cabbage, cut into 1-inch pieces (7 cups)
- 1 tomato, cut into ¾-inch pieces (1 cup)
- ¼ teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 to 2 jalapeño chiles, seeded, veined, and cut into thin strips
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Put the onion, oil, garlic, ginger, and salt in a large saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently to prevent sticking or burning, until the onion is soft and translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the cabbage, tomato, and turmeric and stir well to combine. Cover and cook, stirring frequently, for 10 minutes.
- Add the chiles, cover, and cook until the cabbage is very tender, about 5 minutes longer.
- Season to taste with pepper and additional salt if desired, then serve.
Per cup: 182 calories, 4g protein; 12g fat ; 18g carbs; 6g fiber; 6g fiber; 198 mg sodium
Visit Kittee Berns at Cake Maker to the Stars.
- For more cabbage recipes, see Cabbages and Lettuces — Beyond Salads.
*This post contains affiliate links. If the product is purchased by linking through this review, VegKitchen receives a modest commission, which helps maintain our site and helps it to continue growing!