Curried Potato Salad with Red Lentils
This luscious combination of potatoes, lentils, and tomatoes is an exotic change-of-pace from the standard varieties of potato salad.
- 3/4 cup red lentils, rinsed
- 4 large potatoes
- 4 medium firm, ripe tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 cup vegan mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup plain nondairy yogurt (coconut or soy)
- 1 to 2 teaspoons good-quality curry powder, to taste
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro, or more to taste
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Combine the lentils with 2 cups water in a saucepan. Bring to a simmer, then reduce the heat and simmer gently until the water is absorbed and the lentils are done but still firm, about 15 to 20 minutes. Drain off any excess cooking liquid and let the lentils cool to room temperature. Alternatively, to make ahead of time, you can pour the boiling water over the lentils in a heatproof dish, cover, and let stand until the water is absorbed and the lentils are at room temperature.
Meanwhile, cook or microwave the potatoes in their skins until tender but still firm. When cool enough to handle, peel and dice them.
Combine the lentils and potatoes in a serving bowl and add the remaining ingredients. Toss gently but thoroughly and serve at once.