Barley Salad With Fresh Corn and Peas
Barley and fresh corn are a companionable duo in this simple and hearty cold dish that’s great for everyday meals or potlucks. To complete the meal, serve with a simple cold bean dish such as those featured in Bean Salads.
Serves: 6 to 8
- 3/4 cup pearl barley
- 3 cups cooked fresh corn kernels (from about 3 large ears)
- 1/2 cup fresh green peas, lightly steamed
(or substitute 1/2 cup frozen peas, thawed)
- 1 large celery stalk, diced
- 3 medium juicy tomatoes, diced, or 1 1/2 cups halved cherry tomatoes
- 3 to 4 tablespoons minced fresh dill
- 2 scallions, sliced
- Juice of 1/2 to 1 lemon, to taste
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Mixed baby greens
Bring 2 1/2 cups of water to a rapid simmer in a saucepan. Stir in the barley, then simmer gently, covered, until the water is absorbed, about 40 to 45 minutes. Allow the barley to cool to room temperature.
In a large mixing bowl, combine the barley with the remaining ingredients except the greens and stir together.
Line a serving platter with greens, mound the barley salad over them, and serve.Print This Post