Quinoa, Broccoli, and Vegan Cheese Casserole
This easy casserole of quinoa, broccoli, and vegan cheese makes for a dish that’s both nourishing and comforting. Serve with baked sweet potatoes (start the sweet potatoes in the oven about 45 minutes before starting to bake the casserole) and a salad of dark greens and ripe tomatoes. Photos by Rachael Braun.
- 1 1/2 cups quinoa, rinsed in a fine sieve
- 3 cups low-sodium vegetable broth or 3 cups water with
2 vegetable bouillon cubes
- 2 teaspoons salt-free seasoning blend (like Frontier or Mrs. Dash)
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, quartered and thinly sliced
- 2 large broccoli crowns, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1/3 cup sliced sun-dried tomatoes or sliced black olives
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups grated vegan cheddar-style cheese
(use your favorite brand; I like Daiya cheddar-style
shredded cheese in this dish)
- 2 large or 3 medium tomatoes, sliced
Preheat the oven to 400º F.
Combine the quinoa, broth, and seasoning in a saucepan. Bring to a slow boil, then lower the heat, cover, and simmer gently until the water is absorbed, about 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large skillet. Add the onion and sauté until golden. Add the broccoli and enough water to keep the skillet moist. Cover and steam until the broccoli is tender-crisp, about 5 to 7 minutes.
In a mixing bowl, combine the cooked quinoa with the broccoli mixture, dried tomatoes or olives, and half of the cheese. Season with salt and pepper and stir well.
Transfer the mixture to a lightly oiled, shallow two-quart casserole. Arrange the tomato slices over the top. Sprinkle evenly with the remaining cheese. Bake until the top is golden and crisp, about 20 to 25 minutes. Let the casserole stand for 5 minutes, and serve.