Simple Quinoa, Broccoli, and Cheese Casserole
This easy casserole offers maximum nourishment. Serve with microwaved or baked sweet potatoes (start the sweet potatoes in the oven about 45 minutes before starting to bake the casserole) and a salad of dark greens and ripe tomatoes.
- 1 1/2 cups quinoa, rinsed in a fine sieve
- 1 vegetable bouillon cube
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, quartered and thinly sliced
- 2 large broccoli crowns, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1/3 cup sliced sun-dried tomatoes or sliced black olives
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 cups grated vegan cheddar cheese
Preheat the oven to 400º F.
Bring 3 cups water to a simmer in a medium saucepan. Stir in the quinoa and bouillon cube, cover, and simmer gently until the water is absorbed, about 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large skillet. Add the onion and sauté until golden. Add the broccoli and enough water to keep the skillet moist. Cover and steam until the broccoli is tender-crisp, about 5 to 7 minutes.
In a mixing bowl, combine the cooked quinoa with the broccoli mixture, dried tomatoes or olives, and half of the cheese. Season with salt and pepper and stir well.
Transfer the mixture to a lightly oiled, shallow two-quart casserole. Sprinkle evenly with the remaining cheese. Bake until the top is golden and crisp, about 20 to 25 minutes. Let the casserole stand for 5 minutes, and serve.
- Browse more of VegKitchen’s vegan casserole recipes.
- See more of VegKitchen’s quinoa recipes.
- Here are more recipes for cauliflower and broccoli.