Pinto Bean and Corn Soft Tacos
A soft taco is somewhat like a quesadilla, except that it isn’t grilled. It is a sensuous sort of meal, meant to be eaten with knife and fork rather than picked up as you would crisp tacos. Serve with baked sweet potatoes or sweet potato fries and a big salad for an easy meal.
Serves: 4 to 6 ( 1 1/2 to 2 soft tacos per serving)
- 8 soft taco-size (8- to 10-inch) flour tortillas
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 medium red bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- 1 cup thawed frozen corn kernels
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 small hot green chili, seeded and minced, optional
- One 16-ounce can spicy fat-free refried beans
- 1 cup grated cheddar-style nondairy cheese
- Salsa (homemade or purchased) for topping
- Vegan sour cream (homemade or purchased) for topping, optional
Wrap the tortillas in aluminum foil and warm in a 350-degree oven or toaster oven.
Combine the water and bell pepper strips in a large saucepan and cook, covered, for 2 minutes, then add the corn kernels, scallions, and refried beans. Heat gently until everything is well heated through.
Spread some of the filling on one half of each tortilla, then sprinkle with a small amount of cheese. Fold over and arrange on individual plates. Top with salsa and the optional yogurt. Eat at once with knife and fork.
- Here are more easy bean main dishes.
- Find more of VegKitchen’s Vegan Dinner Recipes and more Burritos, Enchiladas, And Tortilla Dishes.
- Find lots more tortilla recipes in A Southwestern Supper.
Print This Post