Spiced Summer Fruit Salad
Here’s a fruit salad for late summer, when the season’s fruits are no longer at their peak of flavor and can use a bit of assistance. Choose from the best of what’s left of the season — berries, stone fruits, and melons.
- 6 to 7 cups fresh summer fruit (choose several among strawberries, cherries,
blueberries, melons, peaches, plums, grapes, nectarines, etc.)
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups vanilla nondairy yogurt (coconut or soy)
- 1/3 cup currants, raisins, dried cranberries, or dried cherries
- 2 tablespoons agave nectar, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh or jarred ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground or grated fresh nutmeg
Pit and dice any fruits that need that kind of prep; leave small berries whole; remove hulls from strawberries and cut them in halves or quarters if large.
Combine all of the ingredients in a large mixing bowl and mix thoroughly. Cover and chill before serving, or serve at once.
- Here are more recipes for fruity compositions.