Jicama is a slightly sweet crunchy root vegetable and adds a great flavor to autumn coleslaws. It’s a lovely addition to the vegan Thanksgiving table. Ask for it at well stocked supermarkets and produce stands. If you can’t find it, substitute crisp white turnip. Photos by Hannah Kaminsky.
- 3 cups red cabbage, thinly shredded
- 3 cups white cabbage, thinly shredded
- 1 cup peeled, thinly shredded jicama
- 2 scallions, sliced
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley or cilantro
- ½ cup vegan mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons prepared mustard
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar or maple syrup
- Juice of ½ orange
- Juice of ½ lime
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Combine the cabbages, jicama, scallions, and parsley in a serving bowl and toss together.
- Combine the dressing ingredients in a small bowl and whisk until well blended. Pour over the cabbage mixture and toss well.
- Cover and let stand for 30 minutes or so before serving, or refrigerate until needed.