Jicama is a slightly sweet crunchy root vegetable and adds a great flavor to autumn coleslaws. It’s a lovely addition to the vegan Thanksgiving table! Ask for it at well stocked supermarkets and produce stands. If you can’t find it, substitute crisp white turnip.
Serves: 6 or more
- 3 cups red cabbage, thinly shredded
- 3 cups white cabbage, thinly shredded
- 1 cup peeled, thinly shredded jicama
- 2 scallions, sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley or cilantro
- 1/2 cup vegan mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons prepared mustard
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar or maple syrup
- Juice of 1/2 orange
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Combine the cabbages, jicama, scallions, and parsley in a serving bowl and toss together.
Combine the dressing ingredients in a small bowl and whisk until well blended. Pour over the cabbage mixture and toss well. Cover and refrigerate until needed.
- Here are lots more creative and colorful slaw-style salads.
- Here are more recipes to enjoy a Vegetarian and Vegan Friendly Thanksgiving.
- Find more ways to make Special Occasions and Entertaining easier and healthier.