Vegan Macaroni and Cheese
Serves: 4 to 6 adults or 6 to 8 kids
- 10 to 12 ounces elbow macaroni
(or other short pasta shape such as cavatappi)
- 12.3-ounce package silken tofu
- 2 tablespoons nonhydrogenated margarine
- 1 1/2 cups firmly packed cheddar-style nondairy cheese
(Daiya is good for this)
- Salt to taste
Cook the macaroni in plenty of rapidly simmering water until al dente, then drain.
Meanwhile, puree the tofu until perfectly smooth in a food processor or blender. Transfer to a medium sauce pan and add the margarine and cheese. Slowly bring to a gentle simmer, stirring often, then cook over low heat until the cheese is thoroughly melted.
Combine the cooked macaroni and sauce in a serving container and stir together. Season with salt to taste and serve at once.
VARIATION: Top with fresh bread crumbs and bake in a casserole dish at 400 degrees for 20 minutes, or until the top is golden and crusty.
- Find more of VegKitchen’s Vegan Dinner Recipes and more Casseroles And Other Comfort Foods.
- Here are more hearty vegan pasta recipes.